critisism on the manual of TS Doctor

Begonnen von Oldman13, Juli 15, 2016, 08:33:47

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Oldman13

I have critisism on the manual of TS Doctor.

First, I am not an expert on video, audio, codices and so on but I am not a complete newbie either. I have a TS stream, recorded by a satellite receiver. What I want is: cutting the stream, cleaning the stream AND IMPROVE warnings/errors segments, if possible and playing the resulting file with my mediaplayer. TS Doctor promises: "Die Aufnahmen werden überprüft und repariert". Cutting the stream, cleaning the stream and finding the timelocations of irregularities (warnings, errors) are well described and easily found. However, no word about how to repair warning/error segments. Is that possible? And if yes, how?
I found out that the subjective impression of warning/error parts is strongly affected by the mediaplayer used. The term for that is error concealment. Alas, my loved mediaplayer (Kodi) performs not well in this respect. Warning segments are clearly shown by that player, not to talk about error segments.
I discovered that by converting the TS stream to an mp4 file in TS Doctor, the subjective impression of the warning/error segments has considerably improved. No idea whether the error concealment of Kodi is better for an mp4 file than for a TS file or that the repair action of TS Doctor is hidden behind a conversion. No idea why my TS file is 25 fps and the mp4 file 49 fps. Purpose, accident? Or are there adjustable settings possible for the conversion? I did not find them.
In the preferenes section there are a lot of settings not explained in the manual. Only of interest for the real expert? And for the first time I saw the terms mux/remux. I needed Wikipedia to find out what it is. What it is and how to use it is not described in the manual.
I think TS Doctor is a very good programme, with more possibilities than you may think. But the manual is then of no help.
Possible reaction in German: no problem.

Mam

I'm afraid, your expectations are a bit too high.
Most things you are missing in the manual are not there, simply because they do not belong there.

Let's begin with "Errors & Warnings":
Reception problems lead to "dropped packets", these parts are simply missing. So, since nobody knows what has been cut off, nobody (and no program) can make an educated guess what should belong there.
There is no repair because those parts are lost.

But why then Errors & Warnings if something is missing anyway?
The reception stream contains several substreams like audio channels, video data, sometimes teletext and sometimes even things that do nothing, called "filler". These streams are devided into small packets and send in a certain sequence depending on their size and number. That was done by the "muxer" like you already have looked up somewhere.
So the Sequence maybe for instance "VVVAVVVTVVVFFF" (V=Video, A=Audio, T=Teletext and F=Filler).
The different subchannels use either error correction mechanisms or not. Audio for instance has error correction, Video not.
Now the reception problem occurs, one or more Packets are lost!
Of course, the impact of the loss depends WHAT packet was lost and if that substream has error correction or not.
Lets say, instead of the above sequence, the reception was  "VVVAVVTVVVFFF".
One video packet was lost! no error correction. So the TSDoc cannot find out if this will be visible or not, he just sees that one packet was lost, so it issues a warning (maybe at that part of the movie there was a still picture? the problem might not be visible at all then).
Or a filler packet was lost! Lucky we were! Fillers do nothing, so a missed filler does not do anything too! no error, no warning!
A missed teletext also would not really harm your movie show.
A missed audio can be detected more detailed because of a failing error correction. The doc then can either repeat the last packet, insert a packet of silence or something else. In worst case you hear a hiss or a crack at that point.
But if more than one packets are missed, things become more likely that something will be visible/hearable. If the count reaches a certain amount (and more than one subchannel has been hit) the doc starts to mark this spots as errors.
At the end it gives you a chance to playback these error spots because really only you can judge if these errors are bad enough to annoy you or not.

Converting to different formats, especially reencoding with tools like Handbrake or so, "corrects" those errors in so far, that those gaps are left out and the sequence numbers of the remaining packets are adjusted. So, a player like Kodi does not know anymore that there was an error at this certain position, for Kodi the film looks fine again. Some players are picky about errors, others deal with them much more relaxed. But reencoding silences them all.
(which does not mean that the missing parts are back again, the players just do not notice anymore that something is missing)

So what the doctor can do for you is to find problematic regions in your recordings, leave out the garbage at those points and form a playable, "politically correct", audio/video file that maybe played with any player.

But it can neither guess what was missing, nor "heal" a destroyed reception.
In 99% of the cases it is up to you to fix your dish/receiver or whatever you use to record these broadcasts.
And this is a topic that is surely far beyond the manual of a poor innocent tool...
;D

Oldman13

Moderator: although I have TSD 2.0.41 I wrongly set this post in the TSD 1.2 Forum. Could you transfer it?

Dear Mam
Thanks for your elaborate reaction. I read it, and I will reread it. At the moment I try to find my way -mainly by trial and error- in all possibilities, offered in "Tools". When I have a better picture of the possibilities of TSD -apart from cutting and cleaning- I will come back on this topic.

Derrick

ZitatAudio for instance has error correction
Not true. Audio frames can contain an error check (CRC) but there is no correction possible.

Cypheros

Sorry the manual, it only covers the surface of broadcast recodings. I know that but to to cover this complex topic would mean to write a whole book.
I'm not ready for that yet  ;)

There are good books (most are expensive) out there explaining this topic in details:
Broadcast Engineer's Reference Book
A Broadcast Engineering Tutorial for Non-Engineers

Most people don't even read my manuals and not carring for explainations but want the application to work out of the box. So I'm more focused on developing than explaining.

www.cypheros.de