Dialog box 'Open Fixed file?"

Begonnen von charlesc, März 24, 2014, 00:45:28

« vorheriges - nächstes »

charlesc

Most of the time when I use TS Doctor I run it in batch mode.  The settings in Preferences for the dialog boxes are all saved with values, so that there should be no need to stop the batch and request user input.

I've just upgraded to v 1.2.114, and as usual I did a quick check to make sure all Preference settings are nominated with a value.  However in running the batch file, a number of files with some errors have caused a dialog box to come up and TS Doctor stopped waiting for user input.

I think the message was "Open fixed file?", or similar.

How can this be set to continue running the batch file instead of waiting for user input?

Typical batch file
tsdoctor.exe H:\PROCESS\*.ts Autofix M:\PROCESS\fixedbatch\

Cypheros

Hi,

problem is that the batch kann only process "valid files". In rare cases some files are very "strange" and have to be fixed before TS-Doctor can open them. This files have to be repaired before they can be processed.

This "hard" repair methodes are rather new, so they are not taken into account for batch processing.

I will check that and try to fix this issue.

charlesc

My recordings are DVB-T off-air TV in Australia, regularly happening since about 2005.  For a long time, I only used VideoReDo Plus to top-and-tail these recordings, removing the pre and post time buffering ahead of and after the actual TV program.
VRD for single file processing will show a summary of errors via a dialog box.  It can also batch process many files.  You can also batch process through its QuickStream Fix function. If a file really wouldn't open properly or had some major problems, I have found QuickStream Fix would usually correct it so I could then use it.

Some time around 2012 I started using TS-Doctor, and fairly quickly started putting all my recordings through it before I did anything else with them.  Once I had a folder of files processed by TS-Doctor, I would top-and-tail them with VRD. 
I can't really recall any files that became unusable through this approach, although I know I haven't watched all the ones I have recorded!  Certainly at the editing stage they open and look OK.

Running the batch process to completion with TS-Doctor is important.  It may run through 10 to say 40 files, often overnight.  Stopping on the third file waiting for user input is a problem when you expect the batch to run fully.

I'm not sure what major changes are implemented in the new checking method, but whatever it was doing before seemed to produce good results.  I know some recordings have errors, when a file stops and the dialog box asks for user input, the log shows there were errors found.  But overall these files are then processed by VRD successfully.

Maybe there could be an option while in batch mode to just rename the file with potential problems to have a suffix '-Check' or something like that.  Then the batch would complete, and there may be a number of files marked '-Check' that TS-Doctor recommends are verified before further work takes place.  Or they can just be processed (in my case by VRD) as before.

Djfe

Or there could be a log file which lists all files and writes their status after the file name:
Good
Errors
Dialogues (maybe even the dialogue context as a status)

if you need to answer a dialogue the file should be skipped in batch-mode
(until there is a better solution)

charlesc

I've switched back to the earlier 1.2.104 version for now, which for me seems to give good end results.  At least it once again runs through without stopping for dialog box input.

Hopefully the batch operation issue will get looked at at some point.

EDIT: It seems I'll have to go back to an earlier version than v104, I spoke too soon about it running through OK.  There was a dialog box on screen again this morning, a fifty file batch run partially completed.

Cypheros

Did you check the new Version 1.2.116? Dialog should be skipped if TS-Doctor runs in command line mode.

charlesc

No, I didn't, but with anticipation I did read every line of the the release notes for it. However I didn't see any mention about changes to batch file handling.

Now you have identified some changes were made for that, I will try it.
Thank you, I'll advise back here.

Cypheros

Yes your are right, it's not in the release notes but has been changed.

charlesc

Thanks, yes, version 116 runs through in batch mode now without stopping.

I've tried it on a couple of batch runs, and no dialog box stops the run anymore.

charlesc

Version 1.2.128

The 'open fixed file' dialog box is back when running batches.  Anyway this can be prevented?  As per details below, it seemed to be fixed before, but has returned.

Thanks

Cypheros

Under Settings/Preferences/Dialog Options you can select a default answer for the dialogs, so they are skipped.

charlesc

Yes, I've looked under those settings. 
None of the 'Show Dialog' (left side radio buttons) are set, so something is causing a dialog box to appear despite those settings.

The 'Invalid timer jump discovered. Create a new corrected file now?' had the YES option enabled, I've set that to No.
Could that be what was causing the 'Confirm' dialog box (Open fixed file?) to appear?  As noted, the 'Show Dialog' for that was set to No.  Maybe it needs to appear anyway, no choice to say No?

I'm not sure what that timer jump means really.  Any issue in just setting it to No like I've done?

Thanks

EDIT:
I also found that one other option that maybe related to a corrected file was set to Yes.
It was 'Program switching detected.  Create a new corrected file now?'

I can't tell from the message box that appears which event triggered the message.
Does the program just create a new file and work from that automatically?

I'm not sure if I should let the dialogs appear, note the problem files, then check them (or their logs) closely.  Or just set the dialogs to not appear, everything happen automatically, and expect the files to be good.
Could some of those events cause output files to be scrambled?  I run them through VideoReDo to edit them.

I know each file that is processed has an associated log produced for it.  And looking through those I can see the final summaries for ERRORS and WARNINGS on a per file basis.  Some have zero for both values, others may have (generally low) values there.  I'm not sure what events would cause really bad problems, and which files might need to be checked.  Most of the time I just trust TS Doctor has done the best it can, and I haven't yet found a major issue.

For a batch run, would it be possible for TS Doctor to produce a summary batch run file that indicated which file it had ERRORS and WARNINGS with?  That way if say 80 files are run through, it may highlight that 4 files had some problems, maybe go check them.

Cypheros

If you use current version 1.2.128 and have the dialog "Invalid timer jump discovered. Create a new corrected file now?" set to "Yes" or "No" will hide the dialog.

If you select "Yes" for that dialog a new fixed file will be created in the "Temp folder" that is default "C:\ProgramData\Cypheros\TsDoctor\Temp". After correcting the timer continuity, the file be processed as expected.

charlesc

Version 1.2.154

The 'open fixed file' dialog box is appearing again when batch files are run.
All options for dialog boxes are set, so there shouldn't be any input required.

Could you please check that the batch mode is set to run without bringing up a dialog box?  This problem is very similar to what was happening before it seems.

Thanks.

charlesc

I've made some changes to the Preferences for the dialog boxes. However I don't usually go in and modify these from what they have been for a long time, so I'm not sure why the behaviour seems to have changed (asking via dialog box).

Program switching detected.  Create  new corrected file now?  NO
Invalid timer jump discovered.   Create  new corrected file now?  NO

The first couple of batch runs have completed, and the files seem OK to edit in Video Redo TVSuite, as usual.

www.cypheros.de