Small bug using Comskip

Begonnen von Jaan, Januar 11, 2015, 22:41:58

« vorheriges - nächstes »

Jaan

about 3 upgrades ago, a small bug was introduced. I use Comskip (from the Edit menu) to mark commercials, and then go to TS-Doctor's cutting editor to see if the cuts need adjusting. Clicking on the screenshot images in the cutting list to go to the beginning or end of a segment does not work reliably. Some screenshots produce no action - at least at first. Some work, some don't. A lot of clicking around various screenshots eventually gets them all working. Alternatively, saving the cutting list to a file and then loading the file always fixes the problem immediately - so the list is good, it is only the association with the screenshot images that is not properly established after Comskip runs. As I said, this problem appeared about 3 or 4 updates back.

Jaan

I just tried an experiment I had not thought of before. Just saving the cut list resolves the problem - it is not necessary to load the saved list! Subtle bug?

Retract this. It is necessary to reload after saving.

Cypheros

Do you use LAV for preview or other video filters?

If not, try to install LAVFilters under Settings/Preferences/Supported Tools/LAVFilters.

Jaan

Yes, I use LAVFilters. I doubt the filters are the issue. Everything works perfectly - playing, pausing, skipping forward and backward 10s, or 1 I-frame, etc. The only thing that does not work reliably is going to the beginning or end of a segment by clicking on a screenshot in the cutting list at the right. And it is not just a case of going to the wrong place when it misbehaves - there is just no response at all to clicking on the image. The play position does not change, and the segment I try to select does not become highlighted in the cutting list as it normally does. No response at all. Typically, some segments can be selected from the cutting list, and others not. The extent varies. This problem occurs ONLY after detecting commercials with ComSkip, and is always cured by simply saving the cutting list to a file and reloading it. And the problem did not exist until about 3 updates back.

Cypheros

So it's reproduceable for you. That's strange because I can't reproduce this behavior with my recordings.
Can you tell me the version of comskip, you use? Is it the donators edition?
What channel is the recording from?

Jaan

More or less reproducible. Today, for example, I processed a file that had 8 desired segments. When I opened the cutting editor after running ComSkip, the first (desired) segment was highlighted in the cutting list. Clicking on the screenshot for the start of section 2 repeatedly produced no effect at all. Then I tried segments 3 through 8 in order, and they all worked. After that, segment 2 worked OK as well. On most files it is much worse, in that there are more segments that don't respond initially. Often it is most segments, and it takes a lot of clicking around to find segments that respond until finally they all are working. The problem is perfectly reproducible in the sense that a given file always produces the same result. I restarted TS-Doctor and loaded today's file again, and once again clicking on the screenshot for the start of section 2 produced no result. Then I tried clicking on the screenshot for the END of section 2, and that worked. Thereafter, all screenshots worked.

From last spring until yesterday I was using version 0.81.059 [donor]. Prompted by your question, I updated to 0.81.069 [donor] yesterday. That made no difference.

My input files are produced from a Hauppauge HDPVR2 from analog input using their Hauppauge Capture software. The only thing I know of that is at all unusual about the input files is that I get the "PES length on video stream detected" dialog box from TS-Doctor. I usually select patching (recommended) but whether I do or not makes no difference. Oh, and the audio stream is MPEG 1/layer 2 (video is H264.)

Cypheros

Try to fix the file first. Just open file and don't use ComSkip. After analysis click on "Save new file" to fix the file. Please post the log to this new file.
Try to open the new file and check the behavior with ComSkip cutting again.

Jaan

OK, I did as you suggested. First I opened the source file (which I had simply renamed to ComSkip_test.ts) in TS-Doctor, and immediately saved it to ComSkip_test_fixed.ts (selecting the default option to patch the PES length.) This produced the log file ComSkip_test_fixed.log. Then I opened the _fixed file, ran ComSkip, and saved again as ComSkip_test_fixed_fixed.ts to generate the log files ComSkip_test_fixed_fixed.log, and also the ComSkip log file which I renamed ComSkip_test_fixed-comskip.log.

Fixing the file first made no difference. The misbehaviour of the cutting editor screenshots remained as before.

Cypheros

Try to disable "Use fast sample grabbing" under Settings/Preferences/Preview. Does that gives you better results?

Jaan

Sorry, that made no difference. I have 2 more observations:
1. I generally use ComSkip on longer programs which have 7-12 sections to keep in the cutting list. I tried running it on a short program which only gave me 4 segments. It did not exhibit this problem. I have not tried this enough times to be sure, but it may be that the problem does not occur if the cutting list ends up being quite short.
2. I usually check the cutting points by going to the start of each segment in order (and then clicking -1s to confirm that's the right spot.) But in experimenting, it seems that while clicking on the screenshot for the start of a segment may not work, clicking on the screenshot for the end of a segment always does.

Here's a question: I recall this problem started for me about 4 upgrades back (wish I had taken note of the version!) I believe it was the same version that introduced another GUI-related bug. When TS-Doctor goes through the steps of scanning a file as it opens it, the menu names "File" "Edit" etc are greyed to indicate they can't be used. They return to normal when the all scans are completed. The bug was that the menu items disappeared entirely when the scan was completed. But they would appear as the mouse pointer was swept over them (and remain visible thereafter.) That bug went away for me one or two upgrades later. Were you ever aware of that one?

Jaan

I may never understand what was going on, but the problem seems to have gone away. I tried the same files on a different computer, and did not see the problem. So I looked at the system settings on the computer I had been using remembered I had "visual effects" set to "adjust for best performance." I tried "let windows choose what's best" instead, and that did not help. Then I went back to my original setting and gave up on experimenting. Strangely, I no longer see the problem now.

Thanks for your patience!

www.cypheros.de